Gravitas [Womens] ultralight waterproof jacket
- Full Description
- Features At A Glance
- Care & Environmental Advice
- Size Guide
- Customer Reviews
Lungs heaving, legs screaming, steam billowing: head tilted into the pummeling rain, back bent into the dreich monotony of the climb. And then you’re out: racing along ridges, feet flying over the terrain, rain bouncing off you in all directions and relishing the grim satisfaction of just getting out, regardless of the weather.
Waterproofs weighing you down? Throw off the shackles and throw on the Gravitas. Designed for minimalist mountain raids where breathable protection and maximum agility are key. Feather-light and packing down into its own pocket-sized stuff-sack, throw it in your race vest for fell runs, squeeze it into seatpacks for bare-bones bikepacks, or even clip it to the back of your harness when the weather’s looking iffy.
The Gravitas is one of the lightest 3-layer waterproof jackets available - a mere 155 grams for a Size 12. 3-layer fabrics are much more durably waterproof and breathable than 2 or 2.5L fabrics, and we’ve used an ultrafine 7 denier nylon to sandwich the super thin PU waterproof membrane, keeping you as light on your feet as possible.
With 30K MVTR breathability and 20K HH waterproofing, the Gravitas has all the performance you need to keep you warm and dry for sweaty workouts in hostile weather. It’s a dream to move in too with a quiet and supple fabric that’s comfortable next to the skin, the soft tricot knit backer eliminating any cold clamminess.
The large hood with a stiffened wired peak has a simple rear adjuster and a semi-elasticated opening so you can yank it on in sudden downpours without stopping to undo your zip. The cuffs are cut to protect the backs of your hands and feature semi-elasticated openings for comfort. It’s also been designed with minimal seams and no visible stitching throughout to reduce snag and wear points, including on the ample-sized hidden chest pocket.
Best In Test Winner - UKClimbing.com and UKHillwalking.com: “Worlds apart comfort... super-light and very breathable, the Gravitas manages to balance minimalism with functionality”
"All in all, an excellent, no-nonsense, shimmering shard of lightweight loveliness" - Outdoors Magic
- Ultralight 3 layer construction uses 7 denier outer and inner fabrics and a super thin PU membrane, allowing it to pack up small into its own stuff sack
- Highly breathable and waterproof fabric (30K MVTR and 20K HH respectively) for high intensity activities in wet weather
- Protective hood has a wired peak and a rear adjuster to stay secure in winds, plus an elasticated opening to pull on and off easily
- Tricot knit backer is comfortable next to the skin and the supple 47 gsm fabric is quiet and easy to move in
- Semi elasticated cuffs are cut to protect the back of your hands and the hem is secured by two adjusters
- Minimal seams reduce seam taping and lack of visible stitching reduces snag and wear points
- A hidden chest pocket is large enough to fits hats, gloves and maps
- YKK Aquaguard front zip, protected by a minimal storm flap
- 3 Year Alpine Bond
47 gsm 3 layer fabric
Face Fabric: 7d nylon
Backer Fabric: 7d nylon tricot
DWR: PFOA-Free C6
Taped Seams (FRA approved)
Hydrostatic head: 20,000 mm
Moisture Vapour Transfer Rate: 30,000 g/sqm/24hrs (minimum)
8: 145 g; 10: 150 g; 12: 155 g; 14: 160 g
We treat all our waterproofs with PFOA-free DWRs, cutting out some pretty nasty chemicals. Unlike our insulation and sleeping bag ranges, our waterproofs are not yet PFC-free. We’re still looking for a PFC-free DWR that’ll provide the same long-lasting performance for waterproofs, but we are working on it!
We make gear you’ll love for longer: gear that lasts; gear you’ll use, repair, re-use and pass onto someone else when you’ve finished with it. That’s why all our products have a three-year Alpine Bond warranty as minimum. We’ve always thought that the most environmentally friendly product we can make is the one that gets used the most and lasts the longest. So that’s what we do - it’s pretty simple really.
Product Care Information
The better you look after this jacket, the better (and longer) it’ll look after you. Well, when we say ‘look after you’... it’s not gonna make you cups of tea or bring you breakfast in bed, but it will keep you nice n’ dry. And the good news is: it’s dead easy to do.
1) After you’ve finished going nice places and doing good things, treat your jacket to a wash at 30°C with either a dedicated Tech Wash (like Grangers and Nikwax) or pure soap. This keeps your jacket breathable by stopping the Durable Water Repellent (DWR) coating from getting clogged up with dirt and skin oils. No one likes a sweaty, clammy jacket.
2) If it’s stopped beading (rain soaking in rather than forming droplets), you can reactivate the factory-applied DWR by sticking it in the tumble drier on a low setting or applying a cool iron to it (under a tea towel).
3) To keep your jacket beading, you’ll probably need to top up the DWR once or twice a year using a Grangers or Nikwax re-proofer. You can find out more about why this is important here.
If you’re still a bit unsure about washing your jacket, you can also take it/send it to our Ambleside store’s waterproof washing service and we’ll sort it all out for you.
What You Say: Customer Reviews and Comments
Used this product?Write a review
I purchased a size 14 Gravitas Jacket from Ambleside on Easter Monday , primarily as a lightweight, waterproof, windproof and breathable jacket for cycling. It was immediately put to the test and was not disappointed. over a 2 hour period of constant rain with the hood up under my helmet, I remained dry but more impressive was the breathability of the jacket. It has a great cut, the zip comes high to cover the chin and keep the weather out and the minimal features were perfect. The deep chest pocket is all you need for a phone and snacks. A well thought out design and another Appkit success.
Like my gravitas
A lovely lightweight jacket that does what it says. Waterproof & lightweight, well cut and nice to wear. Could be improved with a tab to hold the hood down when you run (especially with the wind behind) as it "bobs" around . Also beware that the pocket zip is not waterproof, it killed my phone!!
Fold up rain jacket
This is a lovely light weight waterproof, good shape but I felt slightly tight on my usual size 12 so had to return for a 14. Especially if i had more than a t-shirt underneath . But overall very happy.
Very disappointed in the quality and Alpkit
I bought this jacket last October, after reading how good it was and that it was FRA recommended, fab I thought this is a jacket which although light weight will stand up to the job. How wrong was I!! I bought it as my summer light weight waterproof for FRA kit check. I've worn it several times to test out for the summer, used it with a bum bag as I would when racing and was disappointed to find that it had worn in several places, the outer layer wearing away, in very little time and use.
I thought this was very poor and I'd not had anything like this happen with my other light weights, it has happened so quickly and the material just isn't up to the job, very disappointed.
I contacted alpkit about this and being local took the jacket to show them, thinking maybe mine was a rogue jacket. But was told that the jacket had been used alot and had worn. When I explained that I didn't think the jacket was up to it's supposed job, I was told it was a light weight jacket and what did I expect, said I expected it to be fit for purpose, FRA Fell races, where you're required to use a bum bag or pack to carry your required kit. I was told I could pay £10 and have the jacket mended. I declined this offer as I'd rather put my money towards a different brand jacket that will be fit for purpose rather than pay more money for this one.
So much for alpkit's three year alpine guarantee!!
Disappointed with the product and with Alpkit's customer service. Very poor.
My recommendation is don't buy this jacket