Nautilus [Mens] waterproof overtrousers
3-layer waterproof overtrousers for the wettest of days: all-day-deluge protection; reinforced and tailored for serious mountain use
SALE: £89.99 Was: £109.99
- Full Description
- Features At A Glance
- Care & Environmental Advice
- Size Guide
- Customer Reviews
Waking up to the snare-drum sound of beating rain, pulling your waterproof trews on inside the bunkhouse before you’ve even started walking. Strap yourselves in, team: it's gonna be a grim day in the hills. But there’s still a certain relish to be had with the right kit...
Weather torrential downpours with ease, safely cocooned in the Nautilus trousers. They’re a high performance, durable waterproof trouser, tailored for true mountain mobility. Thought that waterproof trousers had to be baggy clown pants with all the breathability and durability of a binbag? Not the Nautilus.
With a specially developed 20K/20K fabric, the Nautilus offer exceptional waterproofing and breathability, keeping you dry on even on the steepest and soggiest of hillsides. A durable 3-layer construction provides reliable, long-lasting performance, and maximum reassurance when you’re bracing for biblical levels of rainfall.
The Nautilus have been designed for dynamic movement with articulated knees and a diamond-shape gusseted crotch, allowing you to move with precision on airy scrambles. A slimmer lower leg eliminates excess material (and perpetual flapping in strong winds) and there’s a little bit of fabric give for high strides.
The semi-elasticated waist with zip-fly and button-closure provides a secure fit, makes them much easier to get on and off, and helps with sudden calls of nature.
A 70D high-tenacity nylon outer fabric is exceptionally tough for season after season heavy usage. We’ve also reinforced the hems and insteps to provide extra abrasion resistance in high wear areas. If you do decide to brave frosted ridges and frozen wind slab, the stiffened instep patches are also harder to catch, stopping you from cutting your ankles to ribbons with crampon spikes.
Three-quarter length two-way leg zips make it easier to get them on over boots and enable easy venting on more vertical inclines. The zips themselves are water-resistant with internal storm flaps to keep out driving squalls. Drawcords on the leg hems allow you to cinch in the bottoms over your boots.
- Highly waterproof and breathable performance (20K/20K) in reliable 3-layer construction to stay dry on the wettest of days
- Durable season after season with a 70D nylon 6,6 outer fabric and reinforced hem and ankle patches
- Tailored for mobility with articulated knees, a diamond shape gusseted crotch and a small degree of fabric stretch
- Semi-elasticated waist with zip-fly and button-closure makes them easy to pull on and provides a secure fit
- ¾ length water-resistant zips with internal storm flap fit easily over boots and are two-way for venting
- Elasticated drawcords on the leg hems to cinch over boots
Outer: 70D 47% Nylon 6,6 / 53% nylon stretch
Backer: 20d nylon tricot
500D Oxford Nylon
1000mm HH PU coating
Hydrostatic Head: 20,000 mm
Moisture Vapour Transfer Rate: 20,000 g/sqm/24hrs
We treat all our waterproofs with PFOA-free DWRs, cutting out some pretty nasty chemicals. Unlike our insulation and sleeping bag ranges, our waterproofs are not yet PFC-free. We’re still looking for a PFC-free DWR that’ll provide the same long-lasting performance for waterproofs, but we are working on it!
We make gear you’ll love for longer: gear that lasts; gear you’ll use, repair, re-use and pass onto someone else when you’ve finished with it. That’s why all our products have a three-year Alpine Bond warranty as minimum. We’ve always thought that the most environmentally friendly product we can make is the one that gets used the most and lasts the longest. So that’s what we do - it’s pretty simple really.
Product Care Information
The better you look after these trousers, the better (and longer) they’ll look after you. Well, when we say ‘look after you’... they’re not gonna make you cups of tea or bring you breakfast in bed, but they will keep you nice n’ dry. And the good news is: it’s dead easy to do.
1) After you’ve finished going nice places and doing good things, treat your trousers to a wash at 30°C with either a dedicated Tech Wash (like Grangers and Nikwax) or pure soap. This keeps your trousers breathable by stopping the Durable Water Repellent (DWR) coating from getting clogged up with dirt and skin oils. No one likes sweaty, clammy waterproof trousers.
2) If they’ve stopped beading (rain soaking in rather than forming droplets), you can reactivate the factory-applied DWR by sticking them in the tumble drier on a low setting or applying a cool iron to them (under a tea towel).
3) To keep your trousers beading, you’ll probably need to top up the DWR once or twice a year using a Grangers or Nikwax re-proofer. You can find out more about why this is important here.
If you’re still a bit unsure about washing your trousers, you can also take it/send it to our Ambleside store’s waterproof washing service and we’ll sort it all out for you.