Argonaut [Mens] waterproof jacket
- Full Description
- Features At A Glance
- Care & Environmental Advice
- Size Guide
- Customer Reviews
In our wet and windswept corner of the planet, we sometimes forget just how big a deal a decent breathable waterproof jacket is. It’s not just staying warm and dry, it’s the possibilities it opens...
Simple doesn’t have to mean basic. Introducing the Argonaut: light, packable and reliable with a fully featured hood and best in its class performance – don’t let wet weather hold you back.
The Argonaut’s relaxed fit leaves plenty of space for you to layer it over a fleece or base layer, and room to move whatever the activity. It really is the Swiss Army knife of waterproofs, equally at home strolling up fells, riding churned up bridleways or wrestling tents up in a downpour.
With 10K/10K (HH/MVTR) performance for waterproofing and breathability the Argonaut will keep you protected and dry in all but the most extreme of British weather conditions. It’s also light and flexible for moving in or stashing away in a pack thanks to the 2.5 layer construction (it uses a super-thin PU backer to protect the membrane, reducing weight).
When you're working up a sweat on steeper inclines, the mesh-lined pockets can dump extra heat by doubling-up as vents. Additional thoughtful features include the fully adjustable roll-away hood and velcro-adjustable cuffs.
Approved by Trail Magazine
Read the review in the Spring 18 edition.
- 10K HH and 10K MVTR fabric is breathable and waterproof for moving in wet weather
- A relaxed fit allows easy layering and is unrestrictive for various activities
- 2.5 layer construction is lightweight, soft and packable for stuffing in rucksacks
- Mesh-lined pockets double as vents to dump extra heat when you’re working hard
- The roll away hood has side and rear adjusters for a secure fit in strong winds and a stiffened wire peak
- Velcro-adjustable cuffs, hem adjusters and a double storm flap on the main zip prevent leaks
- 3 Year Alpine Bond
Outer: 100% Nylon
Membrane: PU, coated 2.5 layer
DWR: PFOA Free C6
Hydrostatic head: 10,000 mm
Moisture Vapour Transfer Rate: 10,000 g/sqm/24 hrs
S: 315 g; M: 330 g; L: 345 g; XL: 355 g; XXL: 375 g
We treat all our waterproofs with PFOA-free DWRs, cutting out some pretty nasty chemicals. Unlike our insulation and sleeping bag ranges, our waterproofs are not yet PFC-free. We’re still looking for a PFC-free DWR that’ll provide the same long-lasting performance for waterproofs, but we are working on it!
We make gear you’ll love for longer: gear that lasts; gear you’ll use, repair, re-use and pass onto someone else when you’ve finished with it. That’s why all our products have a three-year Alpine Bond warranty as minimum. We’ve always thought that the most environmentally friendly product we can make is the one that gets used the most and lasts the longest. So that’s what we do - it’s pretty simple really.
Product Care Information
The better you look after this jacket, the better (and longer) it’ll look after you. Well, when we say ‘look after you’... it’s not gonna make you cups of tea or bring you breakfast in bed, but it will keep you nice n’ dry. And the good news is: it’s dead easy to do.
1) After you’ve finished going nice places and doing good things, treat your jacket to a wash at 30°C with either a dedicated Tech Wash (like Grangers and Nikwax) or pure soap. This keeps your jacket breathable by stopping the Durable Water Repellent (DWR) coating from getting clogged up with dirt and skin oils. No one likes a sweaty, clammy jacket.
2) If it’s stopped beading (rain soaking in rather than forming droplets), you can reactivate the factory-applied DWR by sticking it in the tumble drier on a low setting or applying a cool iron to it (under a tea towel).
3) To keep your jacket beading, you’ll probably need to top up the DWR once or twice a year using a Grangers or Nikwax re-proofer. You can find out more about why this is important here.
If you’re still a bit unsure about washing your jacket, you can also take it/send it to our Ambleside store’s waterproof washing service and we’ll sort it all out for you.
What You Say: Customer Reviews and Comments
Used this product?Write a review
Brilliant value for money jacket
We’ve three Argonauts in our household; one for me, my wife and my daughter! It’s a very nicely cut jacket, for both sexes, and looks just as good on the highstreet as it works in the hills. If I could make one improvement it would be the ability to stash the hood a little more neatly as the current roll-it-and-loop-it system is a bit untidy. A brilliant value for money rainshell overall though. Buy one today!
Bought my Argonaut in the new(ish) Keswick store four weeks ago. Yet another piece of super quality kit from the best outdoor suppliers ever! Lightweight, comfortable and breathable - and a great fit over my Alpkit Heiko mid layer.
Great Jacket, Top Performer
Really pleased with this Waterproof Jacket from Alpkit, Wore it a few times when its been raining hard and kept my base layer totally dry. Love the peaked adjustable integral hood. Good size pockets. Once again the staff at Alpkit were really helpful. This is a top class company that makes you feel a valued as a customer.
Amazing compact jacket. Use this in Iceland this past weekend survived driving rain and wind, no wet patches at all. Surprised by the compact size it can squeeze down to. Great jacket thoroughly recommend it.
Light weight and sturdy
Feels like it’s well built kept me dry so far! And is nice and light for easy storage. Would of been nice to have poppers and a slightly higher quality zip as the Velcro and zips feel a little more on quality compared to the rest of the jacket.
Nice jacket, comes up a bit small, so ok for summer, and a bit short too. The fabric is waterproof, and the seams are very well sealed and waterproof. But the pockets leak badly even when closed. My belly was soaked after 20 minutes fairly heavy rain, even with no wind.
The jacket keeps out rain but has poor breathability. I returned my jacket and it was replaced. However, the replacement doesn’t perform any better. The jacket feels clammy very quickly and becomes wet (from sweat).