Top Tarp Tips Part 2 - The Reflect Wedge
This is a quick and easy setup requiring little equipment, just a tarp, 2 lengths of cordage and a few pegs. This set up doesn’t require any natural features etc and the area required is relatively small. It provides shelter from the wind in 2 directions and a stove or fire can be lit outside the tarp. (Tarp in this example is a Rig 3.5)
We would recommend using a bivvy bag with this setup as the footbox of your sleeping bag will push against the tarp.
Step 1. Peg down the long edge of your tarp.
Step 2. Remove your front wheel.
Step 3. Create a ridge line from corner to corner. Tie a length of cordage to the corner you wish to lift, secure it to the seat post / saddle of your bike and peg out. Your bike should be at approx 90º to this ridge line. The illustration below shows the setup from above.
Step 4. Peg down the last corner making the tarp taught(ish)
Step 5. Attach a long loop of cordage to 2 lifter points, wrap this around your wheel, pull tight and peg out.
(Note : this set up can be replicated with 2 walking poles in place of a bike)
Similarly tagged stickies: Customer Service Top Tips - Tarps, Jaran Tent Pitching Instructions, Ordos Tent Pitching Instructions, Tetri Pitching Instructions, Top Tarp Tips Part 1 - Continuous Ridge Line, Top Tarp Tips Part 3 - Buried Sand Bags, Top Tarp Tips Part 4 - Kayak Bivvy, Top Tarp Tips part 5 - Van Attachment, Viso Tent Pitching Instructions,
Didn't find the product you were looking for or can't remember it's name? Try searching again or clicking on a category.
Download instructions for your product
All about shopping at Alpkit
- I’ve received the wrong item, what do I do?
- Love Mud Wheels: 60 Day Test Ride
- 60 Day Love Mud Wheel trial
- Common Bike Upgrades: price list
- How much does international shipping for Sonder Bikes and Love Mud Wheels cost?
- Bulk Order Discount
- Accident replacement scheme
- Continuum Project
- Kilimanjaro Kit List: What to pack
- Alpkit Finance Options
- Keeping up with the exchange rate fluctuations
- Try Before You Buy - Sonder Demo and Bike Hire
- Where does it come from? Alpkit gear sourcing
- Can I swap a product in a bundle?
- SagePay US State Abbreviations and US State Postal Codes
- PayPal Payments
- Club or Group Discounts
- Website Problems
- Placing an order
- Shipping Options
- 123 Day Returns