Which sleeping bag is suitable for my Kilimanjaro trip?
We have had quite a few customers choosing our down sleeping bags for their trip to Kilimanjaro. They have taken a mixture of SH800 and SH1000 on both camping and hutted Kili routes. It is recommend taking a sleeping bag suitable for temperatures ranging between -10oC and -20oC. If you are camping up on the crater, and you are unlucky enough to get a cold night you are going to be at the end of that scale. One option would be to take the SH800 and be ready to boost it with a down jacket by stuffing it inside the sleeping bag as a floating blanket. You will also be more comfortable at lower altitudes where you will spend more of your time and have a more practical bag at the end of the trip.
If however you know that you get particularly cold go for the extra warmth of the 1000, yes its heavier and yes its slightly more expensive.. but you don’t go to to the summit of Kilimanjaro and the top of Africa every day!
Similarly tagged stickies: Alpkit’s ethical down policy [pre-winter 2016], Can I zip together long and short sleeping bags?, Cloud Cover, Gamma - How to change the battery pack?, How our sleeping bags are tested, How to Clean A Down Jacket or Sleeping Bag, How to clean your down sleeping bag, Left or right zip, Packing your sleeping bag in an Airlok, SLEEP - optimising your sleeping bag’s warmth, Sleeping bag comfort ratings, Where does it come from? Alpkit gear sourcing, You Warm the Bag,
Didn't find the product you were looking for or can't remember it's name? Try searching again or clicking on a category.
Download instructions for your product
All about shopping at Alpkit
- Love Mud Wheels: 60 Day Test Ride
- 60 Day Love Mud Wheel trial
- Common Bike Upgrades: price list
- How much does international shipping for Sonder Bikes and Love Mud Wheels cost?
- Bulk Order Discount
- Accident replacement scheme
- Continuum Project
- Kilimanjaro Kit List: What to pack
- Alpkit Finance Options
- Keeping up with the exchange rate fluctuations
- Try Before Your Buy - Sonder Demo Bikes
- Where does it come from? Alpkit gear sourcing
- Can I swap a product in a bundle?
- SagePay US State Abbreviations and US State Postal Codes
- PayPal Payments
- Club or Group Discounts
- Website Problems
- Placing an order
- Shipping Options
- 123 Day Returns