Location: Alpkit Hathersage
A practical course aimed at equipping you with the skills to plan walks and give you the confidence to strike out off the beaten track.
Date: 9th June
This practical course will focus on how maps relate to the land around you, enabling you to plot routes, visualise what’s ahead and avoid feeling lost.
The course will cover the key aspects of map reading, namely setting, contours and scale, as well as basic use of the compass; you’ll be applying your skills as we go, confidently plotting our way through open countryside. We will also consider Rights of Way legislation, how it’s indicated on the map, and the Countryside Code.
The walk route will depend on the ability of the group and may be up to 10 miles long.
How to Book
For any further information, please call the Alpkit Hathersage store.
T. 01433 730930
The Navigation Skills course is £25.00 per person (accompanying adults will also need tickets)
Our instructors for each activity are provided through Thornbridge Outdoors and are all fully qualified.
On the day
Meet at the Alpkit Hathersage store by 9.30am for a 10am start. If you are late your course will start without you.
You will need your own transport to get to the starting point but obviously car sharing will be organised where possible.
Upon arriving at the venue (approx 10 mins drive), your guide will start the course. At the end of the course you will return to your cars and back to the Hathersage store.
We should be back at the store by 4:30pm.
What to bring
- A packed lunch
- A bottle of water (or other fluids)
- Appropriate clothes for a day walk (waterproofs, warm clothing, etc.)
Minimum age: 12 years. Under 15s must be accompanied by parent or guardian (max 3 children per parent/guardian)
Course provided by Thornbridge Outdoors; instructor: student ratio 1:8.
No refunds 30 days before course.
Hathersage Store Events
- SofA Climbing Skills Builder
- SofA Navigation Skills
- An Evening with Nicky Spinks
- SofA MTB Skills Days
- Introduction to Fell Running
- SofA MTB Advanced Rides
- Alpkit Hathersage Evening Talks
- SofA MTB Coaching Rides
- Saturday Peak District Social Run
- Friday Massage Therapy for Adventure Sports
- Tuesday Yoga for Adventure Sports
Ambleside Store Events
- Social Swim with Alpkit Ambleside
- Lake District Photo Walk
- Alpkit Beach Clean in association with Colourful Coast Partnership
- Fluid Trails MTB Coaching Ride - ‘FIND YOUR FLOW’
- Ambleside Sunday Social Runs