BSO Wet and Wild Underground
Discover some of the mysteries under the Peak District.
Suitability: Minimum age 12 yrs. Under 16s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian (max parent/child ratio 1:4).
Wet and Wild Underground is an exciting subterrainean trip which will involve walking, crawling and squeezing through one of the popular cave systems in Derbyshire. The exact cave system to be used will be chosen on the day according to weather conditions. If you have ever wondered what lays beneath your feet this is your chance to find out!
BSO Wet and Wild Underground in pictures
What you will get out of the day
This course will provide a great introduction to one of the easier technical cave systems in the Peak District. No previous caving experience is necessary and basic caving equipment will be provided, however you should be prepared to get wet and dirty! Use this as a stepping stone to more some of the more advanced caving courses offered by the Thornbridge team, they will be happy to tailor a course to your needs or sign up for our own Go Deeper course.
Your instructor will provide you with a caving suit, helmet, torch and boots.
We recommend that you carry water, snacks and go to the toilet before entering the cave.
If you have a camera take it with you and capture the experience but be aware that the conditions in the cave will be damp, so it is a good idea to protect your camera in a dry bag.
Meeting times and logistics
Although your meeting point is onsite this activity involves a 30-40 minute transfer by minibus to the cave system. Please meet at least 10 minutes before the course start time so your instructor can start to assign you equipment. Any delay in departure will shorten the groups experience and latecomers will be left behind. Due to the nature of the experience it is not possible to join the group at a later time.
Meet at the SofA meeting point
Your instructor will assign you your specialist caving equipment
Transfer by minibus to the cave
Enter cave and creep into the darkness!
Return to the surface and transfer back to Thornbridge by minibus
Return equipment to the gear stores
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
500 lumen headtorch with 630 lumen boost mode for maximum dark space penetration and rechargeable Li-ion battery to see you home
Airlok Xtra 65l
65 litre xtra strong dry bags with added attachment points
Lightweight 1 litre Cordura ripstop nylon dry bag. Silicone coated with a roll top closure for storing your stuff in.
Chest ascender suitable for 8 - 12 mm ropes
|Student / Instructor Ratio||10:1|
|Location||Offsite: under the Peak District|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!