BSO Venture Kayaks Introduction to River Touring
Learn to paddle a touring or recreational kayak on the scenic River Derwent.
Suitability: 14 or over, all under 16’s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
This fun and informative half day course run by Venture Kayaks sponsored instructors will cover basic stroke technique and kayaking safety. More importantly, your instructor will soon have you gliding along the river enjoying the delights of this beautiful Peak District valley. A touring kayak differs in many respects from an open canoe. You will use twin blade paddles and sit within a cockpit. The kayak shape is very similar to a sea kayak with storage in one or more deck pods and a skeg to keep you flowing in a straight line!
BSO Venture Kayaks Introduction to River Touring in pictures
What you will get out of the day
All kayaking equipment provided.
This activity is suitable for people with or without experience.
There is an age restriction of 14 or over, all under 16’s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian on the same course.
Meeting times and logistics
Although your meeting point is onsite this activity involves a 20 minute transfer by minibus to the river. Please meet at least 10 minutes before the course start time so your instructor can start to assign you equipment. Any delay in departure will shorten the groups experience and latecomers will be left behind. Due to the nature of the experience it is not possible to join the group at a later time.
Meet at the SofA meeting point
Transfer by minibus to the River Derwent
Session on the river
Transfer back to Thornbridge by minibus
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
Lightweight 13 litre Cordura ripstop nylon dry bag. Silicone coated with a roll top closure for storing your stuff in.
Airlok Xtra 20l
20 litre extra strong dry bags with added attachment points
|Provided By||Venture Kayaks|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||6:1|
|Location||Offsite: River Derwent|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!