BSO Intro to Outdoor Climbing
Come and experience climbing on some of the best rock in the world.
Suitability: Children under 16 will have to have a parent or guardian present (either participating in the course or spectating).
Join us for half a day of real rock climbing in the Peak District. Whether you've never climbed before, only tried climbing indoors or just want to get out on some classic Peak District crags then this course is for you. No experience is needed and each participant will be instructed in the safe fitting of helmets, harnesses and how to belay one another by our team of highly experienced climbing instructors.
BSO Intro to Outdoor Climbing in pictures
What you will get out of the day
No experience required. You'll be given the chance to push your ability and climb as hard as you desire. You'll receive coaching and instruction from a qualified climbing instructor and will be shown how to safely fit your own harness and helmet as well as learn to belay one another.
September can be chilly, so dress accordingly and remember you will spend some time standing around.
Warm clothing such as a fleece
Climbing is easier in stretch or loose fitting clothing
Hat and gloves
Some snack bars or sandwiches to keep you fuelled
Meeting times and logistics
This course will take place offsite at a crag in the Peak District so please arrive at the SofA meeting poing at least 10 minutes before the starting time. This will give you a chance to meet your instructor and set off in good time. If you are late your group will leave without you.
Meet at the SofA meeting point
Transfer to the climbing venue by car (approx 30 mins)
Easy walk to the crag (approx 20 minutes)
Introduction to climbing
Return to Thornbridge
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
Belay device for 1 or 2 ropes with auto-blocking/ guide mechanism for seconds
Fixe Montgrony Quickset
Set of 4 snapgate quickdraws with 16 cm extender slings
Fixe Rock Stone Screwgate
Strong but light D-shape carabiner for climbing and caving
Fixe ProLite Evo
240 g climbing helmet, comfortable and lightweight
Alien Revolution Cams
The ultimate small cam for protecting peg scarred faces, Revo cams are a firm favourite amongst trad climbers
|Provided By||Thornbridge Outdoors|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||5:1|
|Location||Offsite: Peak District grit|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!