BSO Derwent River Safari
Explore the Peak by open canoe.
Over thousands of years the River Derwent has carved its path through the heart of the Peak District. Kitted up and ready to go you’ll be paddling an open canoe along one of the most beautiful sections of this amazing river. As you drift with the flow you’ll pass grazing animals on the flood plains, the high chimneys of the mills that revolutionised UK industry before feeling dwarfed by towering limestone cliffs. Canoeing is an activity that suits the fit and the brave as well as those more suited to going with the flow. How exciting you make the trip will be up to you. If you are happy to float along silently you’ll come face to face with the flora and fauna of the River Derwent. However if you enjoy being in the water as much as the boat you’ll be taught basic boat handling skills through games and activities throughout the journey.
Alpkit team Izzy, Ben, Jim and Jay took to the water to check out the Derwent’s delights. It was Izzy’s first proper experience in a boat, check out how she got on when she took the safari in her Daring Deed
BSO Derwent River Safari in pictures
What you will get out of the day
All canoeing equipment provided.
This activity is open to anyone with or without experience.
There is no age restriction to this activity, although all under 16’s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Meeting times and logistics
Although your meeting point is onsite this activity involves a 20 minute transfer by minibus to the river. Please meet at least 10 minutes before the course start time so your instructor can start to assign you equipment. Any delay in departure will shorten the groups experience and latecomers will be left behind. Due to the nature of the experience it is not possible to join the group at a later time.
Meet at the SofA meeting point
Transfer by minibus
Session on the river
Transfer back to Thornbridge by minibus
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
Lightweight 8 litre Cordura ripstop nylon dry bag. Silicone coated with a roll top closure for storing your stuff in.
Airlok Xtra 8l
8 litre extra strong dry bags with added attachment points
Thorough and inspiring guide to canoe camping
|Provided By||Thornbridge Outdoors|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||6:1|
|Location||Offsite: River Derwent|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!