BSO Climbing Escapology
Essential rope systems and management to see you safely up and down your climb.
Suitability: Minimum age 14 yrs with participating parent or guardian.
Bad rope management is at it's best embarrassing, and at it's worst life threatening. Sometimes accidents happen, sunny multi-pitch Alpine climbs turn into epic storm chased retreats, you might get hit by a rock fall or you simply cannot pass the crux. In these cases you need to know what you are doing, or have the confidence that your mate knows what to do if the worst should happen - it is best to practice these things in advance!
BSO Climbing Escapology in pictures
What you will get out of the day
To get the most from this session, you should be regularly climbing outside. A strong knowledge of basic knots used for climbing is a must and you should be comfortable placing gear. In this practical ground based session your instructor will run through advanced rope systems including abseiling past a knot, prussiking up a rope and passing knots, how to tie off a belay plate, escaping the system and the like.
All equipment for this ground based practical session will be provided but if you have your own feel free to bring it along.
All climbing equipment will be provided.
You will be standing around outside so bring warm clothing, wooly hat, gloves and wind/waterproofs in case of wet weather.
If your feet get cold outdoor boots with thick socks are a good idea.
If it is sunny you might want to bring a sunhat and suncream!
Meeting times and logistics
Meet at the SofA meeting point 5 minutes before the course starting time.
The location for this activity is just a couple of minutes away
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
Fixe Ballet Descender
Dual rope aluminium abseil and belay device
Left and right handed ascenders for rope diameters ranging from 8 to 12 mm
Chest ascender suitable for 8 - 12 mm ropes
|Provided By||Thornbridge Outdoors|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||8:1|
|Location||Big Shakeout site|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!