BSO Totally Wild Food
Join James Wood who will share the fruits of the forest
Join one of Totally Wild UK’s Qualified Foragers to be introduced to the art of foraging and the vast array of wild edibles to be found around us all of the time. Learn the differences between edible and toxic species and try up to 5 pre made wild food tasters from jams to chutneys, syrups and more. The perfect session for those wishing to travel light, eat local, seasonal and fresh wild ingredients and families.
This autumn foraging course will aim to give a basic overview of the common seasonal edible plants and fungi you are likely to come across. What is covered
- Foraging law and ethics
- Sustainable harvesting techniques
- Plant and fungi ID skills
- Food and medicinal uses of common plants
- Foraging mindset (learn to look not to search)
- Chance to taste some wild edibles
We will aim to cover 20+ common seasonal edibles, and get a good overview of what the season has to offer. Suitable for all ages and abilities, under 12s must be accompanied by a parent who will also need their own ticket).
You will be outside for the duration of the course, dress for the weather!
Meeting times and logistics
Please meet at the SofA desk ten minutes before your
|Course info card||Description|
|Provided By||James Wood|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||20:1|
|Location||Big Shakeout site|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
900 ml titanium cooking pot for soloists with large appetites or a pair wanting to cut the grams and save pack space.
Lightweight stainless steel wire saw for cutting timber, plastic and more. An essential utility for activities such as bushcraft and camping
300 ml titanium camping bowl
Titanium spork (or foon? or forked spoon) with bottle opener giving 3 functions in one, the ultimate lightweight camping cutlery
The Wilderness Survival Guide
You're hiking in the wilderness with a backpack full of gear and a phone for emergencies. But if you can't get a signal and you lose your pack... what then?
Feed Zone Portables
A modern way of thinking to design and produce food that you want to eat whilst out on an extended adventure