BSO White Water Kayak Skills Builder
A slightly more advanced white water kayaking session with an emphasis on white water skills and safety and rescue.
This course aims to equip you with the necessary personal paddling skills in order that you can safely and effectively navigate on moving water. After which you will be able to select the appropriate skill and carry them out in a moving water environment to be able to successfully navigate rapids. This course will be carried out on grade 1 and 2 water on the River Derwent at Matlock.
This is ideal for those of you who have had some experience of white water river paddling previously, or those who have extensive flat water experience who would like to try their hand at white water kayaking.
What you will get out of the day
Please bring a towel.
Wetsuits and gear will be provided but feel free to bring your own if you have them.
Meeting times and logistics
Pleas meet at the SofA desk 10 minutes before the start of your course. From here you will head on a minibus out to Derwent Water
|Course info card||Description|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||6:1|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
- BSO Derwent Introduction to White Water
- BSO Derwent River Safari
- BSO Tittesworth Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding
- BSO Tittesworth Reservoir Safari
- BSO Tittesworth Reservoir Sit-on-top Kayak taster
Volunteering is a great way to get involved with the Big Shakeout. As a Shaker Maker you’ll ensure guests leave the festival having experienced an unforgettable event. Click here to find out more.