BSO Wet and Wild Underground
Discover some of the mysteries under the Peak District.
Wet and Wild Underground is an exciting half-day subterranean trip which will involve walking, crawling and squeezing through one of the popular cave systems in Derbyshire. The exact cave system to be used will be chosen on the day according to weather conditions. If you have ever wondered what lays beneath your feet this is your chance to find out!
What you will get out of the day
This course will provide a great introduction to one of the easier technical cave systems in the Peak District. No previous caving experience is necessary and basic caving equipment will be provided, however you should be prepared to get wet and dirty! Use this as a stepping stone to more some of the more advanced caving courses offered by the Thornbridge team, they will be happy to tailor a course to your needs or sign up for our own Go Deeper course.
Your instructor will provide you with a caving suit, helmet, torch and boots.
Dress warmly, it gets chilly underground! Wear long sleeves and trousers. Bring a jumper.
Leave valuables at home.
Meeting times and logistics
Please meet at the SofA desk at least 10 minutes before the course start time so your instructor can start to assign you equipment. Although your meeting point is onsite this activity involves a 30-40 minute transfer by minibus to the cave system. Any delay in departure will shorten the groups experience and latecomers will be left behind. Due to the nature of the experience it is not possible to join the group at a later time.
Meet at the SofA meeting point
Your instructor will assign you your specialist caving equipment
Transfer by minibus to the cave
Enter cave and creep into the darkness!
Return to the surface and transfer back to Thornbridge by minibus
Return equipment to the gear stores
|Course info card||Description|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||10:1|
|Location||Offsite: under the Peak District|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
Waterproof 20 litre roll-top drybag with bungee straps and mesh pockets for added capacity, ideal for anything from adventure races to the daily commute.