BSO Peak District Mini Adventure Navigation and Trail Challenge
Peak Park Navigation and Trail Challenge
If you find maps baffling and compasses befuddling, these session with the National Park Authority will help you learn your North from your South and your down from your up.
In this hands-on activity, you and your kids will get to grips with navigation. Under the all-knowing instruction of the Peak District National Park team, you'll discover how to read map symbols and how to use a compass before testing out your skills on the Peak District trail challenge.
The session takes place mostly on the festival site, starting with 45 minute crash course where you'll learn about maps, the basics of navigating, and to play some games to practice your skills. Once topographically trained, you'll be let loose - map and compass in hand - with a self-led trail to navigate and a mission of exploring the Big Shakeout site. You'll be holding that map the right way round in no time!
All of the trails and challenges will be tailored to suit different abilities.
What you will get out of the day
If you’re under 16, you must bring along an accompanying parent or guardian
You will be outside for the duration of the activity, please dress according to the weather.
9.30 – 12, 10.30 – 1pm, 12-30 – 3pm 1.30 – 4pm; sun 10.30 – 1pm, 11.30pm – 2pm
Meeting times and logistics
Please meet at the SofA desk 15 minutes before the start of your course, the SofA team will direct you to your starting point at the Peak Park ranger stand.
|Course info card||Description|
|Provided By||Peak District National Park Authority|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||15:1|
|Location||Starting at Peak District National Park Stand|
|Min age||Age 8+, Under 16s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian when off-site (maximum parent:child ratio is 1:4)|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
Ultimate Navigation Manual
Covers every navigation technique you will ever need. Techniques used by special forces and search and rescue teams from around the world.
Best Tea Shop Walks in the Peak District
Never miss out on afternoon tea again with Norman and June Buckley's collection of easy-going Peak District walks.