BSO Full Day Navigation Skills
This practical course aims to equip you with the skills to plan walks, and the confidence to strike out off the beaten track.
This practical course will focus on how a map relates to the land around you, enabling you to plot routes, visualise what's ahead and avoid feeling lost.
The course will cover the key aspects of map reading - setting, contours and scale - and basic use of the compass, while you confidently plot our way through open countryside. We will also consider Rights of Way legislation, how they're shown on the map and what you need to know, and The Countryside Code.
You will need your own transport to get to the start of the course.
What you will get out of the day
For this day walk you will need to supply your own packed lunch. Please also remember to bring water and fluids. Depending on conditions and group fitness the walk could be up to 10 miles in length.
Under 16s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian (max parent/child ratio 1:4). Minimum age 13 yrs.
Come appropriately prepared for a day walk and bring a pack lunch with you: walking boots, waterproofs, spare clothes, snacks, personal medication, sun lotion.
Meeting times and logistics
Meet at the SofA desk 10 minutes before the start of the course. Customers will need their own transport to get to the start of the course, lift sharing will of course be organised where possible.
|Course info card||Description|
|Provided By||Thornbridge Outdoors|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||8:1|
|Location||The Peak District|
|Min age||13 years|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
Ultimate Navigation Manual
Covers every navigation technique you will ever need. Techniques used by special forces and search and rescue teams from around the world.
Drinks bottle in 750 ml or 500 ml capacity for swigging on the go
AK Multi Activity Sock Range Pack
4 pairs of socks - one of each design for all your outdoor needs
- BSO Try Your Hand At Dry Stone Walling
- BSO Guided Family Weaseling Walk
- BSO White Peak Walk with a Peak District National Park Ranger
Volunteering is a great way to get involved with the Big Shakeout. As a Shaker Maker you’ll ensure guests leave the festival having experienced an unforgettable event. Click here to find out more.