BSO Monsal Bike and Abseil
Follow the Monsal Trail to an exciting 80ft abseil.
Cycle along the Monsal Trail to Millersdale viaduct and make an exciting 80ft abseil! The Monsal Trail passes directly in front of the Big Shakeout site. You will cycle along the trail from the old platform at Thornbridge Hall, on the way passing through 3 tunnels, as well as passing both Cressbrook and Litton Mills. The Monsal Trail follows the course of the former Midland Railway Line which closed in 1968. The longer tunnels are lit during daylight hours, dawn to dusk making the enjoyable to use whether cycling, walking or horse riding. Once at the Millers Dale viaduct, your instructor will secure the ropes and you will make an 80ft abseil!
What you will get out of the day
Starting directly from the Big Shakeout site this makes an ideal activity for groups of friends or families with half a day to fill. The Monsal Trail is wide and flat making for an easy and sociable ride with impressive views along the narrow limestone valley. The abseil is a great team building activity, be prepared to encourage each other to make that first step over the edge, once over you will be wondering what all the fuss was about!
Sorry but we cannot refund your ticket if you decide not to abseil.
Please come dressed for the weather, you will be outside for the duration of the activity.
All abseil equipment is provided.
Bike hire included however you can use your own if you have it. If you do bring your own bike, make sure it’s in good working order and bring a spare inner tube (you never know when you’ll need it!)
No specialist clothing is required, but make sure you wear appropriate clothing and footwear for cycling.
You’ll be standing around a little while while you wait for your turn to abseil so we advise warm clothing and waterproofs.
Any medication, snacks, or drinks you may need with you.
If you have long hair, something to tie your hair back with.
Meeting times and logistics
The abseil takes place at Millers Dale viaduct, 30 minutes along the Monsal Trail from Thornbridge Outdoors. Meet at the SofA meeting point at least 10 minutes before the start time to make the most of the activity.
Depart on bike from Thornbridge to the viaduct (approx 30 minutes)
Take it in turns to make the 80ft abseil
Return to Thornbridge by bike
|Course info card||Description|
|Provided By||Thornbridge Outdoors|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||10:1|
|Location||Offsite: Monsal Trail|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!