BSO Make a Canoe Paddle
Lovingly craft your own canoe paddle.
Crafting your own canoe paddle using traditional hand tools is a very satisfying thing to do. John Clohesy from Birchcanoes will provide an introductory course during which you will shape and sand your own paddle prior to taking it home to perfect and varnish. A range of options are available. Using a northern European spruce you will have a lovely lightweight paddle which will be relatively easy to shape. You might prefer to opt for a Leicestershire hardwood like Oak or Ash, which will allow you to make a more slender paddle which will be a joy to use and show off to others. The final alternative is to use some reclaimed Mahogany which carves and polishes up beautifully.
Softwood paddles are £40 and Hardwood paddles are £80. Could you let us know on booking which timber you would like to use, and the measurement from armpit to ground of the main person to be using the paddle, so John can prepare the blanks from which the paddles will be carved
What you will get out of the day
The course will consist of a concise 2 hour introduction to paddle making before you are left to continue to shape your paddle throughout the remainder of the weekend. John will be on hand at all times to give direction and help correct mistakes.
Before the course you’ll need to decide if you would like a standard knot free Spruce paddle or an Ash or Oak paddle so he can prepare the planks before the weekend.
Spruce Paddle - £40 (Standard)
Ash or Oak Paddle - £80
Paddle carving tools provided.
Meeting times and logistics
Please meet at the SofA desk 10 minutes before the start of your course.
|Course info card||Description|
|Provided By||Birch Canoes|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||2:1|
|Location||Big Shakeout site|
|Min age||8yrs, under 16s must be accompanied by an adult at all times.|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
A modern book on the traditional open canoe and its paddling techniques from the open canoe master Ray Goodwin
The Wilderness Survival Guide
You're hiking in the wilderness with a backpack full of gear and a phone for emergencies. But if you can't get a signal and you lose your pack... what then?
- BSO Bushcraft Skills
- BSO Derwent Introduction to White Water
- BSO Derwent Open Canoe Journey with Tittesworth Water Sports
- BSO Derwent River Safari
- BSO Tittesworth Reservoir Safari
Volunteering is a great way to get involved with the Big Shakeout. As a Shaker Maker you’ll ensure guests leave the festival having experienced an unforgettable event. Click here to find out more.