BSO Derwent Introduction to White Water
Experience the thrills and spills of whitewater.
This friendly and accessible course is open to anyone who has spent some time in a kayak before and is looking for a new challenge. Your instructor will run through the basics on the flat water before challenging your skills on the faster white water at Matlock Bath. You’ll cover basic stroke technique, safety, and river features in this fast paced taster experience. You will definitely get wet in this session!
What you will get out of the day
All kayaking equipment provided.
Wear clothes that you don't mind getting wet, bring a change of clothes and a towel.
We would recommend you have paddled a kayak and have a grasp of basic strokes on flat water before undertaking this course.
There is an age restriction of 16 or over to this activity.
Meeting times and logistics
Although your meeting point is onsite this activity involves a 20 minute transfer by minibus to the river. Please meet at the SofA desk atleast 10 minutes before the course start time so your instructor can start to assign you equipment. Any delay in departure will shorten the groups experience and latecomers will be left behind. Due to the nature of the experience it is not possible to join the group at a later time.
Meet at the SofA meeting point
Transfer by minibus to the River Derwent
Session on the river
Transfer back to Thornbridge by minibus
|Course info card||Description|
|Provided By||Tittesworth Water|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||6:1|
|Location||Offsite: River Derwent|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
Airlok Xtra 20l
20 litre drybag with attachment point and shoulder strap designed to be tough and adaptable for adventures and expeditions, ideal for lining your pack or carrying a sleeping mat
GNPDGT Beach Towel
Go Nice Places and Do Good Things with this 100% cotton comfy and cosy beach towel
- BSO Derwent Open Canoe Journey with Tittesworth Water Sports
- BSO Derwent River Safari
- BSO Make a Canoe Paddle
- BSO Tittesworth Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding
- BSO Tittesworth Reservoir Safari
- BSO Tittesworth Reservoir Sit-on-top Kayak taster
- BSO White Water Kayak Skills Builder
Volunteering is a great way to get involved with the Big Shakeout. As a Shaker Maker you’ll ensure guests leave the festival having experienced an unforgettable event. Click here to find out more.