BSO Half Day Navigation with Peak Park
Three navigation training workshops to improve your navigation skills, whatever your level of ability.
Saturday Morning: 10am-1pm
Beginners Navigation – looks at maps, route planning, grid references, reading the map and relating the map to the ground.
Saturday Afternoon: 2pm-5pm
Intermediate Navigation – assumes you have some map reading experience and will be introducing using the compass, walking on bearings, timing and pacing.
Sunday: 10am- 1pm
Advanced Navigation – assumes you are reasonably proficient with map reading and introduces advanced techniques including reading contours, leap frogging, resections.
Be prepared for a half day walk in the wider countryside, there will be some standing around for training purposes and practicing skills.
Dress for the weather, you will be outside for the duration of this course.
Meeting times and logistics
Please meet at the SofA desk 15 minutes before the start of your course, the SofA team will direct you to your starting point at the Peak Park ranger stand.
|Course info card||Description|
|Provided By||Peak Park|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||10:1|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
Volunteering is a great way to get involved with the Big Shakeout. As a Shaker Maker you’ll ensure guests leave the festival having experienced an unforgettable event. Click here to find out more.