BSO Guided Family Weaseling Walk
Have you ever wondered how to spice up your walks and make them more exciting for the kids in the group no matter their size?
Nothing defines the landscape of the Peak District more than the long gritstone edges which border the high moorlands. Overlooking the green valleys, not only do they provide a beautiful environment and habitat for wildlife but they have also provided a playground for generations of rock climbers. This is a fully guided exploration of one of the famous gritstone edges of the Peak District. Along the way, your guide will lead you through, under and over the boulders. Say hello to weaseling, the closest you can get to caving as you can get without going underground!
Each participant will need their own ticket.
What you will get out of the day
This course explores the small boulder fields found at the foot of many of the Peak District's gritstone edges. It is a great way to introduce children to movement on rock, squeezing through small gaps and crevaces as well as giving parents ideas and confidence to add more adventure to their walks.
Gritstone is an abrasive rock so avoid dressing in your lightest weight down jacket or windproof. We also advise long sleeves and trousers to avoid the dreaded ‘grit rash’ on your skin!
Waterproof jacket and trousers
Walking boots or outdoor shoes
Warm clothes (avoid cotton t-shirts which dry slowly)
Hat and gloves
This is a morning walk but people still get hungry so please also remember to bring your own snacks, water and fluids.
Any medication you may need.
Please note: there are no toilet facilities at the weasling venue.
Meeting times and logistics
Meet at the SofA meeting point 10 minutes before the course starting time to find your guide and ensure a timely departure. You will need your own transport to get to the starting point but obviously car sharing will be organised where possible. If you are late your course will start without you.
Meet your guide at the SofA meeting point
Depart in cars from Thornbridge
Arrive at weasling venue (approx 30 mins)
Your guide will lead you to the weaseling venue and start the course
Return to cars
Return to Thornbridge
|Course info card||Description|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||10:1|
|Location||Offsite: Peak District|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
A book for every climber heading to the gym whether instructing or with a group of friends
The complete guide to bouldering, from beginner to expert there is something for everyone
- BSO Try Your Hand At Dry Stone Walling
- BSO Full Day Navigation Skills
- BSO White Peak Walk with a Peak District National Park Ranger
Volunteering is a great way to get involved with the Big Shakeout. As a Shaker Maker you’ll ensure guests leave the festival having experienced an unforgettable event. Click here to find out more.