BSO Derwent Open Canoe Journey with Tittesworth Water Sports
Glide down the River Derwent at Matlock
Glide down the wondrous River Derwent in an open-top canoe, relax, take in the views, and learn a few new skills along the way.
In this half-day session you'll take a journey along the Derwent in open-top canoes, encounter the diverse wildlife that inhabit the area, and see the world from the water.
You'll also learn basic technique for open-top canoes, such as paddling techniques, moving in different directions, and sitting in different positions in the canoe. You'll be completing challenges along the way to test out your new skills.
What you will get out of the day
All canoeing equipment provided.
This activity is suitable for people with or without experience.
There is an age restriction of 8 years and over, all under 16’s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian on the same course.
Bring a change of clothes and a towel
Meeting times and logistics
Although your meeting point is onsite this activity involves a 20 minute transfer by minibus to the river. Please meet at least 10 minutes before the course start time so your instructor can start to assign you equipment. Any delay in departure will shorten the groups experience and latecomers will be left behind. Due to the nature of the experience it is not possible to join the group at a later time.
Meet at the SofA meeting point
Transfer by minibus to the River Derwent
Session on the river
Transfer back to Thornbridge by minibus
|Course info card||Description|
|Provided By||Tittesworth Water|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||1:6|
|Location||Offsite: River Derwent, Matlock|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
13 litre roll-top drybag: silicone-coated ripstop nylon with fully-taped seams to keep your stuff dry when paddling, swimming, or getting rained on
Airlok Xtra 20l
20 litre drybag with attachment point and shoulder strap designed to be tough and adaptable for adventures and expeditions, ideal for lining your pack or carrying a sleeping mat
- BSO Derwent Introduction to White Water
- BSO Derwent River Safari
- BSO Make a Canoe Paddle
- BSO Tittesworth Reservoir Safari
Volunteering is a great way to get involved with the Big Shakeout. As a Shaker Maker you’ll ensure guests leave the festival having experienced an unforgettable event. Click here to find out more.