BSO Bombproof Belays
A practical ground based session providing instruction on the setting up of bombproof belays.
How many times have you seen someone quickly throw a rope around a boulder and bring up their second? Belaying is the foundation of safe rock climbing. Creating safe, bombproof belays is often a skill that is overlooked when climbing outside. It takes a lot of practice to become a competent and knowledgeable belayer. This on-site session is ideal for someone who climbs occasionally, perhaps in larger groups and currently relies on others to set up the majority of their belays. You should be a competent belayer and be able to tie into a harness and would ideally have a basic knowledge of knots used in climbing.
What you will get out of the day
In this practical ground based session your instructor will run through the variety of gear available, ropes, knots and slings as well the practical skills of rope management when setting belays.
All equipment for this on-site ground based practical session will be provided but if you have your own feel free to bring it along.
You will be standing around outside so bring warm clothing, wooly hat, gloves and wind/waterproofs in case of wet weather.
If your feet get cold outdoor boots with thick socks are a good idea.
If it is sunny you might want to bring a sunhat and suncream!
Meeting times and logistics
Meet your instructor at the SofA meeting point 10 minutes before the course starting time.
The location for this course is onsite, just a couple of minutes walk from the meeting point
|Course info card||Description|
|Provided By||Thornbridge Outdoors|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||8:1|
|Location||Big Shakeout site|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
13 mm dyneema sling
13 mm dyneema abrasion resistant slings in 30 to 240 cm lengths
- BSO Adrenaline Rush
- BSO Alpkids on the Blocs
- BSO Climbing Escapology
- BSO Intro to Outdoor Climbing
- BSO Mini Adventurer
- BSO Resin to Rock - Bouldering
- BSO Yoga Sessions
Volunteering is a great way to get involved with the Big Shakeout. As a Shaker Maker you’ll ensure guests leave the festival having experienced an unforgettable event. Click here to find out more.