BSO Bombproof Belays
A practical ground based session providing instruction on the setting up of bombproof belays.
Suitability: Minimum age 14 with participating parent or guardian.
How many times have you seen someone quickly throw a rope around a boulder and bring up their second? Belaying is the foundation of safe rock climbing. Creating safe, bombproof belays is often a skill that is overlooked when climbing outside. It takes a lot of practice to become a competent and knowledgeable belayer. This session is ideal for someone who climbs occasionally, perhaps in larger groups and currently relies on others to set up the majority of their belays. You should be able to tie into a harness, can belay and would ideally have a basic knowledge of knots used in climbing.
BSO Bombproof Belays in pictures
What you will get out of the day
In this practical ground based session your instructor will run through the variety of gear available, the placement of gear, ropes, knots and slings as well the practical skills of rope management when setting belays.
All equipment for this ground based practical session will be provided but if you have your own feel free to bring it along.
You will be standing around outside so bring warm clothing, wooly hat, gloves and wind/waterproofs in case of wet weather.
If your feet get cold outdoor boots with thick socks are a good idea.
If it is sunny you might want to bring a sunhat and suncream!
Meeting times and logistics
Meet your instructor at the SofA meeting point 5 minutes before the course starting time.
The location for this course is onsite, just a couple of minutes walk from the meeting point
Elsewhere on Alpkit
A few goodies that might help you get the most out of this course.
13 mm dyneema sling
13 mm dyneema abrasion resistant slings in 30 to 240 cm lengths
Fixe Stone Screwgate
Strong and light aluminium screwgate carabiner for climbing and mountaineering
Fixe Rock Stone Screwgate
Strong but light D-shape carabiner for climbing and caving
|Provided By||Thornbridge Outdoors|
|Student / Instructor Ratio||8:1|
|Location||Big Shakeout site|
- The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation and all courses are with qualified instructors.
- To participate in School of Adventure activities you must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket.
- Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket may be cancelled and refunded.
- Course times indicate the time you will be leaving from your meeting point to returning to it.
- Your instructor will require you to sign a participation form before your activity commences. Children under 18 must get their form signed by their accompanying parent or guardian.
- For courses offsite you will have to provide your own transport.
- Courses will start without you if you are late.
- Full information
If you like it share it!