Big Shakeout 2016 Site Activities
Big Shakeout 2016The Big Shakeout is located in the heart of the stunning Peak District and we hope you take the time to head off and enjoy it but if you just don't feel like striking out we will have plenty going on at the festival site. Come and visit the info hub, central to the Shakeout this is where you'll find our shop with our latest gear as well as some special Shakeout deals!! We will also have an exhibition of photos from all the expeditions, trips and adventures we have supported over the years.
To give those parents with younger ones a breather there will be a Make and Do classroom where they can show off their artistic skills, whilst you grab a cuppa from the on site cafe, open all day serving drinks, snacks and refreshments.
Exploring the site you'll find plenty of free craft workshops that you can try and the guys will be back to show you how to make a paracord braclet, one of the most popular workshops last year.
There is plenty to wear out those little explorers: we will be running the popular Alpkids on the Blocs fun climbing competition on the Saturday evening and we will be getting the kids on their bikes for their free coaching session.
We have made a real effort this year to bring a real festival feel to the event and the music will be starting a lot earlier so you can kick back and watch the sunset listening to some of the best live music in Derbyshire. With beers from Blue Monkey and Thornbridge Brewery throughout the festival and you won't find any ridiculous festival prices at the Big Shakeout.
We also run a packed programme with the School of Adventure, specialist courses with qualified instructors to either introduce you to new adventures or improve your skills.
Download our SOFA Course Planner and start planning your adventure.
Free activities open to all included in the ticket price
- Live bands and DJs from 7pm till midnight each night
- Friday film night from 7pm-10pm
- Saturday talks and lectures from 7pm - 10pm
- Daring Deed talks in the yurt
- Shakeout Beer Fest at the Foundation Bar
- Thornbridge Kids Indoor Bouldering
- Thornbridge 850m Bike and Trail Track
- Evening stories with Creeping Toad
- Craft tent and woodland skills (9am to 4.30pm)
- Geocache find
- Suggested bike, road, run routes
Paid onsite Family Adventures open to everybody
- Daytime story telling workshop with Creeping Toad (£7.50 per person)
- Nordic Walking (£6 per person)
- Binerflon – Nordic Walking and Nerf Guns (£5 per person)
- Yoga with Polly Cark (free morning and evening sessions)
- Paddle Carving – make your own canoe paddle from £40 per person
- Guy Rope Gourmet Cookery School – join the gourmet and become and campsite cooking Jedi (£25 per person)
- Mini adventurer – let active kids discover their nature (£15 per person)
- School of adventure photographer – insight with Alex Ekins into the requirements of making it as an outdoor photographer.
- Guided family weaseling walk – spice up your walk for kids of all sizes (£25 per person)
- Adrenaline rush – find your inner tarzan (£15 per person)
- Bushcraft skills – become one with the way of the woodland (£10 per person)
- Wet and Wild Underground – discover some of the secrets under the Peak District (£15 per person)
- Derwent River Safari – join one of our instructors and explore the Peak by open canoe (£25 per person)
- Resin to rock – Bouldering – make that dyno from indoor to outdoor climbing. Suitable from 14 years. (£25 per person)
- Resin to rock – Ropes – clip your way from plastic to the crag, an introduction to route climbing outside. Suitable from 18 years (£25 per person)
- Climbing escapology - Essential rope systems and management to see you safely up and down your climb. Suitable from 14 years (£25 per person).
- Intro to outdoor climbing - Come and experience climbing on some of the best rock in the world. Suitable from 16 years (£25 per person)
- Bombproof belays - A practical ground based session providing instruction on the setting up of bombproof belays. Suitable from 14 years (£25 per person).
- Building blocks of lead climbing - Learning to lead climb is one of the biggest and most important steps that climbers can make, this course is the perfect first step for anyone wanting to start lead climbing. Suitable from 16 years (£55 per person)
- Thornbridge Indoor Wall fun sessions (open to all)
- Full day day walk with navigation skills - This practical course aims to equip you with the skills to plan walks, and the confidence to strike out off the beaten track (£25 per person).
- Guided family weaseling walk - Have you ever wondered how to spice up your walks and make them more exciting for the kids in the group no matter their size? (£25 per person)
- Guided walk with a ranger – 8 mile White Peak walk taking in Monsal Dale, Cressbook Dale, Wardlow Hay Cop and Longsone Moor (£7.50 per person)
- Suggested self-supported routes
- Moutain Bike Core Skills - Improve your MTB riding for everyone from 9 years up. (£15 per person).
- Mountain Bike An Introduction to Jumps and Drops - Fancy being in more control over jumps and bigger drops? Then this is the course for you from 9 years. (£15 per person)
- Mountain Bike – Girls only skills session Learning at your own level and pace is a fantastic way to develop your skills further. From 9 years (£15 per person)
- Thornbridge Pump Track (free onsite and open to all ages)
- Monsal bike and abseil - Follow the Monsal Trail to an exciting 80ft abseil (from 8 years)
- Road ride loop (self-supported)
- Moutain bike loop (self-supported)
- Cyclocross loop (self supported)
- Derwent River Safari - Explore the Peak by open canoe for all ages and experience (£25 per person)
- Make a canoe paddle - Lovingly craft your own canoe paddle from £40 (all ages and experience)
- Venture Kayaks - Introduction to River Touring (£25 per person)
- Venture Kayaks and Pyranha Kayaks - Introduction to White Water (£25 per person)
- Free Venture Kayak Sit-On Top taster sessions (limited availability - sign up on the day)
- Wet and Wild Underground. Suitable from 12 years (£15 per person)
- Go Deeper Underground Extended caving trip for those with previous caving experience from 14 years (£20 per person)
- Guided night run (all ages and abilities).
Bivvy and Bike Packing
- Shakeout Sleep Out (dedicated bivvy spot)
- Bike Packing Day with Bear Bones (details to be confirmed).
Keep coming back - more activities to be added Go to the tickets page for more information and tickets.
If you like it share it!
Volunteering is a great way to get involved with the Big Shakeout. As a Shaker Maker you’ll ensure guests leave the festival having experienced an unforgettable event. Click here to find out more.