This page contains detailed information about this years festival. If your question is not answered try emailing us at email@example.com.
Situated in the old grounds of Thornbridge Hall, Thornbridge Outdoors provides an atmospheric and secluded location to base your weekend of adventure in the company of people who like doing good things and going nice places.
The event would not be happening if the guys from Thornbridge had not got involved so we are chuffed to have them as an event partner. The venue is an ideal base for walking, climbing and riding in the Peak District. On site facilities include high ropes, pump track, mini cave system, lecture rooms, kitchen, yurt and even a story tree! The camping and party marquee will all be based in the grounds, how is that for convenient! The campsite is well situated, offering sheltered flat camping a short walk from the action. On site facilities include hot showers, clean, serviced toilets, a washing up area and water points. *No vehicles are allowed on the camping fields at any time.
Bunk house accommodation is available for those staying with children or wanting a little more comfort. (See below)
Sorry no pets. No fires but BBQs are allowed if raised from the ground and used outside your tent. Noise to be kept to a minimum after 10pm in the quiet and family areas.
We will do our best to provide parking but if the weather is wet then it will be on the road. The furthest you will have to carry stuff is about 300m. BE PREPARED. When parking please think of others.
A Zero to Landfill Festival
All our waste and rubbish is handled by Peak Waste Recylcing with zero going to landfill. All waste gets hand sorted after the event.
Camper vans & live-in vehicles
Do you like to bring all the comforts of home with you when you camp? We have limited space for a few camper vans (caravans or motorhomes) at no extra cost but these will be let in on a first-come, first-served basis. Due to fire regulations you will be parked in a field designated for vehicles. You will have to be completely self sufficient for the weekend as there are no electric / waste or water hook-ups. *Thornbridge Outdoors reserve the right to prohibit vehicles on site if the weather causes the ground to become unsuitable for traffic. Neither Thornbridge Outdoors or Alpkit will have vehicles or equipment on site capable of towing stranded camper vans or caravans.
Bunkhouse - Thornbridge Lodge
The Lodge is located on the Thornbridge site and sleeps up to 36. It is a great option for families not quite ready to spend the night under canvas. The building has 9 bedrooms with a mixture of bunk-beds and single beds sleeping up to a maximum of 6 in a room. The shared facilities include hot showers, drying room and a well equipped kitchen. There is also a separate shower/toilet for disabled. The building is centrally heated. Please note, you will have to supply all your own bedding.
Bed & Breakfast
If you fancy a little more luxury and would like to experience some local hospitality there are a number of Bed & Breakfasts in the area.
Food & Drink
We know you are going to be making the most of your day which is why we have worked hard to make sure you can also make the most of your evenings with us. Hang up your rucksack and enjoy hearty cooked food, great beer, live music, lectures, fun and games.
On Saturday breakfast will start early! There will be snacks available to purchase most of the day and on Friday and Saturday evening there will be a choice of hearty food to refuel after your adventurous day out for both meet eaters and vegetarians.
The Alpkit Foundation School of Adventure brings together some of the best instructors, guides and inspirationalists in one place with one aim: to inspire and educate in an amazing environment.
The School of Adventure is about giving you the chance to try something completely new, learn the specific skills of a new discipline, or simply do more or do it better without committing to a whole weekend course. Many of the sessions won't teach you everything but they will give you a set of core skills to work on.
The School of Adventure is run by the Alpkit Foundation using only qualified instructors.
If you want to hear when new courses are added to this year's programme make sure you are signed up to the newsletter, or if you prefer, follow us on Facebook and Twitter where we shall also make some announcements.
The Big Shakeout will take place in the grounds of Thornbridge Outdoors in Great Longstone in the Peak District. If you've not been to Thornbridge Outdoors before then we recommend downloading our Arriving At The Big Shakeout PDF.
How to get to the Big Shakeout
Buses are available from Sheffield to Bakewell (5 miles from Thornbridge) or to Ashford-in-the-Water (1 mile from Thornbridge). It is also possible to get a bus from Bakewell to Great Longstone via Ashford in the Water. See Derbys Bus for latest timetable.
The nearest train station is Grindleford (approx 7 miles away), on the Sheffield to Manchester line.
Longstone Taxis (8 passengers) 07818 432345
Neil’s Taxis, Longstone (6 passengers) 07816 201746
Car - Approaching from Sheffield
Take the A625 out of Sheffield to Calver. Go straight on at the traffic lights in Calver taking the B6001 towards Bakewell. After 3 miles you will come to a roundabout, turn right (3rd exit not including the bookshop entrance) on to the A6020 towards Ashford in the Water after approx ¾ mile take a right turn towards Great Longstone. After approx. ¾ mile turn left at the memorial on the small village green, on to Station Road (just after the White Lion pub and before The Crispin pub). Follow this road for ½ mile, going over a hump-backed bridge, the entrance to the Big Shakeout is 200 metres after the bridge. Past the gated entrance on the right, the way in is signposted through the trees..
Car - Approaching from Matlock
From Matlock, approach Bakewell on the A6 and then take the A6 out of Bakewell towards Buxton. Approx. 1 mile out of Bakewell take a right turn onto the A6020 signposted Ashford in the Water * (if travelling by coach see directions below from here). Turn immediately left into Ashford village and take the 2nd right (at the corner shop) signposted Monsal Head on the B6465, after approx. ½ mile turn right on to Longstone Lane. Thornbridge Outdoors is ½ mile on the left.
* Longstone Lane is a narrow road and not suited to coaches or caravans. They should continue along the A6020 taking the next left to Great Longstone. After approx. ¾ mile turn left at the memorial on the small village green, on to Station Road (just after the White Lion pub and before The Crispin pub). Follow this road for ½ mile, going over a hump-backed bridge, the entrance to the Big Shakeout is 200 metres after the bridge. Past the gated entrance on the right the way in is signposted through the trees..
Car - Approaching from Chesterfield
Take the A619 to Baslow. Once in Baslow turn left at the roundabout (1st exit) and continue along this road for ¼ mile then take a right turn continuing along the A619. After approx. 2 miles take a right turn along the A6020 towards Ashford in the Water. At the roundabout go straight on (2nd exit not including the bookshop entrance) on to the A6020 towards Ashford in the Water after approx ¾ mile take a right turn towards Great Longstone. After approx. ¾ mile turn left at the memorial on the small village green, on to Station Road (just after the White Lion pub and before The Crispin pub). Follow this road for ½ mile, going over a hump-backed bridge, the entrance to the Big Shakeout is 200 metres after the bridge. Past the gated entrance on the right, the way in is signposted through the trees.
Car - Approaching from Manchester
The A6 will bring you towards Chapel-en-le-Frith and then out towards Dove Holes. At the roundabout just before Dove Holes you turn left (1st exit) on to the A623. Go Through Peak Forest and continue to Wardlow Mires. Turn on to the B6465 towards Monsal Head and Ashford in the Water. Go up through Wardlow till you reach the Monsal Head pub. Turn left towards Great Longstone and when you enter the village turn right just after The Crispin pub on to Station Road. Follow this road for ½ mile, going over a hump-backed bridge, the entrance to the Big Shakeout is 200 metres after the bridge. Past the gated entrance on the right the way is signposted through the trees.
Satnav users take note: this postcode will get you close but may not deliver you precisely at the gate.
GRID REF SK 196710
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- No pets on site.
- The artist and performer line-up and all billed attractions may be subject to change at any time without notice.
- Alpkit/Thornbridge Outdoors reserves the right to refuse admission in any circumstances, to provide security, safety and comfort of all guests. They may refuse entry to ticket holders who attempt to enter the site with prohibited items.
- Prohibited items include, but are not restricted to: Glass Bottles, Animals, BBQs/Naked Flames, Drugs/Illegal Substances, Guns, Crossbows, Generators, Fireworks, Chinese/Flying Lanterns, Flares
- Activities at the Big Shakeout may be photographed and/or filmed over the course of the weekend to be used for marketing by Alpkit and Thornbridge Outdoors. By participating you consent to the publication of this material with no compensation for such use.
- Admission is at the ticket holder’s own risk. Alpkit and Thornbridge Outdoors will not be held liable for any loss, injuries or damages sustained at the event, including damage, theft or losses to property and motor vehicles, if the cause is due to the negligence of the Ticket Holder or the actions of other patrons or third parties.
Information & Notification
- Please use the toilets and urinals and do not pollute the streams ponds and hedges.
- Please use the litter bins and recycling points provided.
- Any items which the organisers consider may be used in an illegal or offensive manner shall be confiscated. Persons suspected of carrying out illegal and/or offensive activities on site may face eviction from the site.
- No animals are allowed on site with the exception of registered guide dogs.
- Fireworks, Chinese/flying lanterns, flares and the burning of plastics are not permitted.
- To protect your own safety and that of other guests, please act responsibly at all times.
- Anyone resisting confiscation of prohibited items or disregarding these conditions will face eviction from the site.
- As of July 2007 smoking is not permitted in enclosed public spaces or buildings. Alpkit will provide a designated smoking area at the event.
- Alpkit Ltd does not offer refunds in the event of lost or stolen tickets.
WARNING: EXCESSIVE EXPOSURE TO LOUD MUSIC MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR HEARING, EXCESSIVE EXPOSURE TO FUN ACTIVITIES MAY BE GOOD FOR YOU.